Equality and Diversity
St Nicholas CE Primary School is an inclusive school where we focus on the well-being and progress of every child and where all members of our community are of equal worth. We believe that the Equality Act provides a framework to support our commitment to valuing diversity, tackling discrimination, promoting equality and fostering good relationships between people. It also ensures that we continue to tackle issues of disadvantage and underachievement of different groups.
Our approach to equality is based on the following key principles:
1. All learners are of equal value
2. We recognise and respect difference
3. We foster positive attitudes and relationships and a shared sense of cohesion and belonging
.4. We observe good equalities practice in staff recruitment, retention and development.
5. We aim to reduce and remove inequalities and barriers that already exist.
6. We have the highest expectations of all our children.
No Outsiders PSHCE Programme
Here at St Nic's everyone is welcome. As part of our PSHCE and diversity and inclusion provision we run the No Outsiders Programme, which focusses on ensuring diversity is embraced and no one feels an outsider.
This links well with our focus on quality books, as the No Outsiders programme uses a combination of high quality, diverse and inclusive picturebooks and assemblies to teach the elements of the Equality Act. Each class has a focus text each term to use as a discussion point around different themes. The Powerpoint below tells you more and the bespoke St Nics No Outsiders Curriculum gives details about the books we focus on and the learning focus. All books are age appropriate and carefully chosen.
The Equality Act 2010 requires us to publish information that demonstrates that we have due regard for the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
Please see our Equality and Diversity Action Plan for details of how we work together to achieve these.